It’s International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day on Sunday, so we’re celebrating with a healthy dog treat recipe for all you canine owners out there.
Even though IDBAD is celebrated all over the world, nobody knows where the day originated from or why, but we’re sure many dogs know how to celebrate it!
These dog treats are super easy to make and most importantly, delicious – we tried them on our dogs and they loved them!
We’ve swapped out regular flour for coconut flour, which helps with digestion, and we’ve incorporated blueberries which are a great low-calorie treat and they’re packed with antioxidants, vitamins C and K, and fibre.
Don’t forget to check with your Vet first if your dog has allergies.
1 cup of coconut flour
1/4 cup of rolled oats
3 tablespoons of smooth, natural peanut butter
1 mashed banana
3 tablespoons of frozen blueberries
3 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking pan with baking paper
2. In a large bowl, combine mashed banana, peanut butter and half of the coconut oil
3. Add the coconut flour, oats and blueberries and combine well. Even though it can get messy, it’s best to combine the ingredients with your hands!
4. Slowly add the rest of your coconut oil and knead with your hands until it becomes a dough-like consistency
5. Lightly flour your surface and prepare your dough by rolling it out gently to about a 1/4 inch thickness.
6. With your cookie cutter, gently cut into the dough and place your treats on a lined baking tray
7. Place in the middle of the oven and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes.
8. Give your dog a treat! (once cooled, of course!)
And lastly, if you just don’t have the time to make homemade treats, we highly recommend SavourLife dog treats. They’re 100% natural, Australian owned and made, and they are made from one ingredient with no artificial colours of flavours. And, on top of that, they support rescue. To check out their range, visit: SavourLife