Dogs’ Refuge Home (DRH) Veterinary Nurses provide medical oversight for all dogs in the care of the DRH. This is done inconjunction with consulting Veterinary Practitioners and with other departments at the DRH specifically Animal Care Attendants, Foster Coordinator and Trainers, contributing to best care practices in a holistic manner.
Dogs in DRH care include dogs on site and in foster.
- Responsible for medical care and delivery of the highest standard of animal welfare for dogs in the Home’s care
- Liaison with Subiaco Veterinary and other nominated Veterinary Clinic staff to coordinate and promote best medical health andcare for DRH dogs and coordinate consultations and review of medical information
- Microchip dogs
- Provision and ordering of all medications for dogs in the care of DRH
- Cleaning and disinfecting of surgery in collaboration with Veterinary Assistant
- Contribute to and ensure infectious disease policies and protocols are strictly followed
- Point of contact for all medical related enquiries including foster carers, internal staff, and owners of adopted dogs.
- Veterinary and medical liaison to new adopters – relating medical history of dog being adopted at point of adoption
- Ensure all medical notes and conversations are noted on the database (ShelterBuddy)
- Job share responsibility for all administrative duties in keeping with dog welfare
- To monitor medical stocks and re-order as appropriate
- To comply with OHS standards: risk management assessment, chemical product knowledge
- Adhere to all DRH policies and procedures
Qualification and Experience:
- Veterinary Nurse (Certificate IV Veterinary Nursing) Qualification and Registration with the Veterinary Surgeons Board or working towards this qualification
- Experience in a veterinary practice or animal welfare organisation
- Administrative experience
- An understanding of animal welfare and a genuine interest in dogs and their well-being
Skills, Knowledge & Ability:
- Current knowledge of best medical practice in line with legislation and Veterinary Surgeons Board
- Advanced collaborative skills
- Advanced customer service skills
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Advanced time management skills
- Advanced attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Confidence in the handling and control of dogs of all breeds and sizes
Benefits and perks
- Work with dogs everyday!
- Onsite car parking