Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Dogs’ Refuge Home. We pride ourselves on placing the welfare of our four-legged friends foremost in all of our endeavors. Our volunteers are a critical and valued part of the team. We entrust them with the well being of our dogs and rely heavily on them for the betterment of their lives whilst in the kennel environment.
There are many ways you can help our canine companions including dog walking, office work, laundry, maintenance and gardening. Due to an increasing number of dog walking applications, you may need to wait for a few weeks for your induction training, however if you would like to become part of our Dogs’ Refuge Home Volunteer group sooner, please consider applying to assist with office, laundry or gardening duties.
For dog walking, we ask our volunteers to kindly assist us to get the dogs out before it is too hot. Ideally this would be between 7 am – 11 am so that they are ready to greet the public by the time we open at 11 am. We also require volunteers to assist in walking and toileting dogs in the afternoon from 3 pm to 4.30 pm. Whilst we do not ask you to attend every day, we do ask that you make a commitment to volunteer at least four hours a fortnight in order to keep your skills up to date.
To ensure the safety of both our volunteers and animals, we request that all prospective volunteers meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18 years old or over
- Must be able to commit to volunteering at least five (5) hours fortnightly – this is to ensure familiarisation with the dogs and our handling procedures. Our dogs will be entrusted in your care and having familiar faces around help them build better relationships
- Must be physically fit – as a dog walker your core responsibility will be safely exiting and entering our kennel blocks and being able to take your dog on a 45 minute walk including some off-lead playtime in our exercise yards. Many of our dogs are of medium and large size and require competent handling when out of their kennel
- Must have good attention to detail – information regarding the individual behaviours of different dogs, as well as specific instructions about their care are written on the kennel doors. For your safety and that of the dog you will need to understand and follow these notes
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team – a lot of our operational processes are documented in our Dog Care Manual and we want to be sure that you can understand directions without supervision, for your own safety and that of the dogs. You may also need to team up with a buddy volunteer to walk dogs who have a special doggy bond in pairs
If you have any questions about any of these criteria, please speak to our Volunteer Coordinator.
Friends Of The Cemetery Program
This program was created to help maintain our Dogs’ Refuge Home pet cemetery. Our cemetery was established over 80 years ago, being the first in Australia. Pet owners can commemorate their beloved pets by laying them to rest within our grounds. We take pride in the up-keep of our cemetery, to ensure we honour each pet that has been laid to rest, which is why we are always seeking Friends of the Cemetery to join this program and help maintain the cemetery grounds.
Maintenance & Gardening
Do you have a green thumb or enjoy being outdoors? If so, we’d love your help in sprucing up our premises. We are always seeking assistance with maintaining our premises, this includes weeding, pruning and general tidy up.
If you are a qualified tradesperson and can help out with general maintenance duties including painting, electrical and general handyman work, please get in touch.
Yes, money makes the world go round and our work here at Dogs’ Refuge Home is made possible by the generosity of our community. You can help recommend us as the beneficiary of your next school or work fundraiser. Please contact our Events & Fundraising Coordinator on 9381 8166 or by email via email@example.com to request a fundraising kit.